This new set of Tour Tips was written by the alternative rock band, Full Devil Jacket. You can check out their tips for being on the road, after the break.
1. Stay hydrated, it’s most effective to drink at least 3 bottles of water, 30 minutes prior to beginning your set. Best case scenario is to start hydrating the moment you wake and keep it going throughout the day until set time. A singer is guaranteed to eventually lose his or her voice if not properly hydrated.
2. Establish an effective vocal warm-up routine prior to performance. Vocal warm ups/exercises are essential for a touring singer. When this is done correctly a touring singer will find his or her voice stronger by show 5, instead of ragged and torn from previous performances. Singers that apply an effective warm up routine will find themselves growing in range and stamina as well confidence in personal performance.
3. Diet is critical to a vocalist on the road, staying away from dairy products like ice cream, cheese, and milk, will help greatly.
4. Do not smoke – crack, weed, heroin, cigarettes, meth, or turkeys while on the road. Just kidding it’s ok to smoke turkeys on the road unless you are vegan. But not smoking the drugs will help any singer.
5. This last tip will help a touring singer or anyone in the band or crew. Be sure to leave an item like a hat or belt in the driver’s seat when leaving your touring vehicle over late night drives. That way you don’t get left at the truck stop.
Did you find these tips useful? Let us know in the comments below!