In this Tour Tips segment, the pop band, The Awkward, recommends advice for being a musician on the road. You can check out the tips, after the break.
For us there are a few essentials when touring or playing a show in general:
1. Make sure you get a proper sound check. We play with in-ears which makes it a lot easier to hear each other and has reasonable volumes blasting in your ears. Our worst shows are shows where our IEM mixes are not how we like them because there wasn’t enough time to properly soundcheck. As an artist, you want to feel comfortable playing a show and knowing you can trust what you hear.
2. When you’re just starting out, take on (almost) everything you can. If you want to play big shows you have to play crappy shows first. The ones where there is no sound technician, the ones where nobody shows up, the ones where everything goes wrong. Although they might feel horrible at the moment, it only teaches you more for future shows.
3. Don’t consume too much alcohol before a show. Everyone likes a drink or maybe even a few drinks to loosen up. But it’s important to stay fresh enough to still play a banger show with f-ing up all the time. Trust me. It happened before.
4. Be social. Talk to your fans and really engage with them. They paid tickets to come to see you, they are the ones that ensure that you’re doing what you love most. These are the moments where you can actually create connections with them which are super valuable.
5. Have fun! That’s what it’s all about for us. If you don’t have fun, why would your audience? Go out there and play every show like it’s your last.