In this Tour Tips segment, the alternative rock band, Belle and the Dragon, recommends advice for being a musician on the road. You can check out the tips, after the break.
1. Get out into the world with your bandmates and crew, taking lots of pictures and exploring the town you’re in and eat the local food, because you may not have another chance as life happens and circumstances change.
2. If you hope to be booked again, be friendly and courteous to your host (the other bands/venues/promoters/staff/security) and to the lovers of music (fans and friends), treating the stage and dressing room like a national park: leave no trace (don’t trash the place if you want to get booked again).
3. Always try to one-up yourself on stage night after night. It’s easy to fall into a stage routine when on tour, so be aware. Don’t get complacent.
4. Pace yourself, sleep often and stay hydrated because life on the road means interrupted sleep cycles, limited healthy food options, and so many handshakes (wash your hands often, because the person with whom you just shook hands just walked out of the bathroom, and you never did hear a running faucet).
5. Spend some alone time everyday OUTSIDE THE VAN OR BUS, whether it be a walk, run, sitting in a park or cafe. Decompress and gather yourself to rock another day.