This new set of Tour Tips was written by the hardcore band, Call Of The Void. You can check out their tips for being on the road, after the break.
1. Pack a lunch – always hit up a grocery store whenever possible. It is essential to pack a cooler so you can save money on food especially if you’re on a tour with no meal buyout, or deal. The more food you don’t have to buy at a restaurant the better. Also some cities shut down at 6pm and can leave you with no food options, don’t be the hungry guy, especially if you are a vegan or vegetarian. 1 other tip, when at a gas station, grab as many utensils and napkins as possible.
2. Keep your van in check – Never let that fucker get below 1/4 of a tank gas and always keep up with the general upkeep of your van while on the road. Cutting it close and running your take is not good, not just because you could possibly run out of gas, but once you get to the bottom of the tank you will be running some very dirty gas through your system. Oil changes are a key to saving the life of your van, but don’t go to a non-certified oil change service, because you will pay more. On that note, they usually can rotate your tires and check the rest of your fluids for you.
3. 1 man in the van – If you’re staying the night somewhere and you don’t know how the neighborhood is or you can back the back of the van against the wall, then leave someone to sleep in the van. It surprising how many legit touring bands skip this just because they have reached a certain status. Key neighbor”hoods” to watch out for St. Louis, Oakland, New Orleans. We also pack brass knuckles and a police baton just in case somebody wants to make a sweet entrance while we are sleeping.
4. Shit and masturbate at gas stations whenever possible – Venue’s have the worst bathrooms ever. I will leave it at that. Pack some hand soap. Also as the great Thor Harris from Swans said,
“Masturbate. Duh… Where & when? Be creative. You’re an artist right?”.
A solitary confinement bathroom is your key to jerking off and shitting. Privacy is rare on the road, get it when you can even if its a bathroom.
5. “Slamatizer” – Always keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the van, avoid the sickness. People are filthy and as I said before, venues never have soap. Also, money is fucking disgusting and if you’re accepting people’s sweaty dollar bills every night your bound to get sick if you don’t wash your hands or “slamatize” a few times a night. It’s cheap and effective, there is no excuse.
Did you find these tips useful? Let us know in the comments below!