In this Tour Tips segment, the indie pop duo, DEGA, give you their tips for being on tour. You can check out the feature, after the break.
1. Everyone on our team has an affinity for good coffee. Not run of the mill coffee, GOOD COFFEE. So instead of chasing that great cup in a different city every morning (only to often be disappointed), we bring our own. We source from our favorite local roaster, 1000 Faces of Athens, GA. We have travel kettles, hand grinders, a pour over set, and multiple aeropresses that live on the bus or make their way into every hotel room. Best decision ever. Consistency is something hard to create on the road. This is one way we ensure consistent, relaxed, and happy mornings for everybody!
2. Eating on the road and staying well can be a challenge. We always try and hit up our favorite spots wherever we are, but sometimes there are no options. We stock our bus with precooked rice, packaged curry packs and pop-top cans of beans and chickpeas. We also always have peanut butter, rice cakes, and go-to meal bars, our staple being Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Probars. This way, at 2am when your options on the street are slim to none, you’re still good to go.
3. Plan your days off and get out and do something. When you are traveling and playing night after night, there’s nothing like that upcoming day off. If you can, make that time happen somewhere where there are things to see and things to do… (i.e when we go to NY, we like to go to the Botanical Gardens or spend time at the Met). When we go west, we might stop at the Sonora Caverns or camp in Marfa. We always carve out time for Joshua Tree and nearby hot springs. And we always find time to go thrifting. Basically, do something that you find fun. It will clear the mind palette to begin the next string of shows.
4. Take as much water from the venue as you can get (and can fit)!
5. Bring your own pillow, your own towel, and your own headphones.