In this Tour Tips segment, the electro soul band, Low Country Kingdom, give you their tips for being on tour. You can check out the feature, after the break.
1. Leave your amps at home. Obviously, this doesn’t apply to everyone. But we run all of our sound through a single laptop. Vocals, keys, guitar, and backing track. This has tons of advantages when on tour. First of all, we don’t have to travel with any amps. Second of all, our show is already mixed in the box. We separate out sub-mixes to send to FOH so they have some control, but we can tell the sound engineer that everything should be pretty well mixed already — it just needs some tweaks for the room.
2. Show up early. Staying on schedule can be hard, especially with all of the unpredictable things that happen on the road. Whenever possible, we try to show up before our load-in time. This gives us some time to meet the production staff, chat about our setup, and take control before things start getting busy with soundchecks etc. Stage real estate is super important for us, since we all love to move a lot during the show — so we try to do everything we can to negotiate with other bands and with the house to make sure we have everything we need to do what we do best.
3. Eat vegetables and exercise. Everyone in our band is into staying healthy, so we make sure everyone has enough free time for exercise and a good night’s rest. Plus we scope out the eating options for every drive and make sure we stop somewhere with something other than Butterfinger-flavored cappuccino and yesterday’s hot dogs.
4. Work in the car/van/bus. Our prized collection of car chargers lets us get work done on the road. Write something. Edit some video. Schedule some social posts. Whatever can be done on a laptop with an internet connection.
5. Reuse your condoms. Waste not want not! By sharing and reusing band condoms, we cut our touring expenses by 26% last month. There were logistical issues, but we use google calendar to work most of that out. Rule of thumb: 2 condoms for every 3 band members is about right.
Let me know if there is anything else you need!