This new set of Tour Tips was written by the indie band, Scars on 45. You can check out their tips for being on the road, after the break.
We’ve been a touring band in the USA for about 4 years now, and I gotta admit, those first few trips were a little “indulgent” to say the least. Not so much in the drinking or drugs sense (although we do enjoy the odd glass of red wine after a show), but more due to the vast selection of gourmet roadside cuisine available across this fine nation of yours. Seriously, we were like kids in a greasy, cheese and french frie-infested candy shop. Every gas stop was an opportunity to sample another fast food establishment. In England, we don’t have Taco Bell, Five Guys, In n Out Burger, Dairy Queen, “super-size” or beef jerky. This was all news to us so we thought it was only right that we try everything.. and I mean EVERYTHING. ( I could include pictures at this point but for the sake of our careers / current girlfriends, it’s probably best not).
But today is a new era though. After those first 6 months we realised that although everything does in fact taste better with cheese and bacon, it’s probably not the healthiest. We now try and eat healthy and exercise daily. We’re in much better shape, have way more energy and find touring a lot easier. It takes some effort, and isn’t always easy, but now going “animal style” is a treat reserved around the west-coast shows, not just a daily breakfast-related decision.
1. Exercise Daily We discovered a DVD workout program called T25. It’s run by a lovely chap called Shawn T. It’s 25 minutes a day and required basically no equipment except a nice pair of running shoes. It doesn’t need much space either so we can do it anywhere.. hotel rooms, fitness centre, parking lot, in the venue before soundcheck, side of the stage while the support band is playing, even on the sidewalk of Gramercy Park in NYC! There are three levels so you can work your way into it. No excuses to to get started!
2. Alcohol We all know alcohol adds the pounds, and we all know bands like to drink. Which kinda puts us in a tough spot. We decided to swap the beer for vodka and soda or straight whiskey. Way less calories, whilst still allowing us to fulfil our rock n roll obligations. The odd beer or a bottle of red wine is reserved for the odd treat when we really have time to enjoy it.
3. Lara Bars LOVE these little things. Buy them in bulk then keep them handy for when you’re getting peckish. We spend way less money at gas stations and stay healthy. Loads of different flavours. #keylimepierules
4. Paleo Our keyboard player Nova decided to adopt what is known as the “caveman diet.” This means no carbs (which we all cut down on anyway) and basically only eat something you can find on the ground (fruit, nuts, vegetables, meat etc). No artificial flavourings or sugars. He swears by it. We’re not as convinced, but he’s lost a ton of weight and plays piano like the love child of Elton John and Ben Folds.
5. Agua No sodas, except soda water. Those thing are full of crap! Just have a water. Much better for you, and cheaper!
Did you find these tips useful? Let us know in the comments below!