In this Preshow Rituals segment, the indie band, Sub-Radio, share what they do before every show. You can check out their rituals, after the break.
At the venues where space allows, we all love a good cuddle puddle before shows. Gets the serotonin flowing, gets your heart rates synchronized. Can’t say enough good things about snugs.
But we don’t always have the right number of couches for six dudes. We do have one pre-show ritual that never fails – we call it “Energy.” Here are some instructions for replicating Energy in your own home or venue:
1. Gather participants in a tight circle. Face to face with a little space.
2. Hold direct eye contact with at least one other participant at all times
3. Extend your hands towards the middle of the circle. At a low volume, almost a whisper, begin chanting “Energy, energy, flowing through my fingers” as you wiggle your fingers, energizing them
4. Now flap your entire arms around, chanting “Energy, energy, flowing through my arms,” getting a little louder
5. Move the ritual down to your legs, as the chant grows louder and lustier, “Energy! Energy! Flowing through my legs!”
6. Now the energy is coursing through your whole body, and as you maintain eye contact with your bandmates you screech “ENERGY! ENERGY! FLOWING THROUGH MY BODY!”
7. Rush on-stage and capture that energy in your performance