In this Tour Tips segment, the dance duo, Two Friends, give you their tips for being on tour. You can check out the feature, after the break.
1. Try to be healthy when you’re not on tour, cuz it’s so damn hard to be while you’re on the road, haha. Lotta airport meals plus fast food plus bad sleep plus no time to exercise is not a good recipe. Tour bellies will grow.
2. But if you are gonna be unhealthy…. do it big. For our pre-show meal, we always try to find some famous local spot to see what the city we’re playing in is all about. Whether it’s BBQ in the south and midwest, Mexican food near the border, seafood by the coasts, we don’t mess around. If you see us making a stop in your city, please help us out and let us know what we can’t miss.
3. Be an expert at airports, like George Clooney was in that movie Up in the Air. Get TSA Pre-check, only bring a carry-on, get all the perks of being loyal to an airline, and for the love of God, don’t sit in front of Eli on the plane. He is just too tall for a seat and so his knees hit your seat and dig into your back the whole flight. I would rather sit in a middle seat far away from him than a window seat in front of him.
4. Try to figure out a good routine for still being productive even while away from the studio. This is one that we are by no means pros at, and it’s something we are constantly trying to improve upon. When you’re away from the studio for several days, it’s hard to make time to work on music, but you gotta figure out ways to make little victories at least. Maybe that means doing a portable set-up on a long road trip or flight and working on a specific part that doesn’t necessarily require as great a listening environment. Maybe it means catching up on social media ideas or other logistics. Maybe it means getting inspired by the new city you’re in and starting some lyric ideas for the next writing session.
5. Have fun. I know that’s cheesy, but it’s true. Obviously, the shows are always so much fun and we never take for granted the fact that we get to this as our ‘job’, and do it with our best friend on top of that. But make the other less glamorous parts fun too. Keep each other energized and in good spirits, joke around, relax in hotel hot tubs as applicable, take lots of photos and videos so you can remember each city, and make the most of each trip. So at least you’re bigger belly will be worth it.
Keep up with the duo on Facebook!