In this Tour Tips segment, the indie pop artist, UPSAHL, recommends advice for being a musician on the road. You can check out the tips, after the break.
1. A 20 piece McNugget at 2 in the morning in the middle of nowhere is never a good idea. Being on the road, it’s really really difficult to continue to eat healthy, and sometimes we’ll be driving through the night and all I’ll want is to eat some junk food, but I always ALWAYS regret it the next day. I feel like through learning the hard way, I’ve become a pro at gas station shopping. They always have bananas or apples and really good protein bars that you can get. I love RX bars or the Lenny and Larry’s Vegan cookies. They’re not horrible for you, and they kick a craving, so that’s been my go to recently.
2. Buy a Memory Foam Neck Pillow and wear it all the time. I didn’t realize how important sleep on the road was until I stopped getting enough sleep on the road. Now, I try to use any travel time, whether in a car or on a plane, as time to catch up on sleep. Having a neck pillow on at all times while traveling makes it easy as fuck to sleep anywhere, so that’s been my saving grace on the road.
3. DO YOUR LAUNDRY. This is going to sound gross, but even when I have no clean socks or underwear, doing laundry in the middle of the night when we just rolled into a hotel is not what I want to be doing. But, I’ve learned that laundry every few days or at least every week is hella essential. Especially for me, I pack my stage outfits in the same suitcase as everything else, so after a couple days, everything in my suitcase will start to smell like my sweaty ass mesh jumpsuit that I sweat in every night on stage. Buy some Tide Pods and do your laundry whenever you can, even if you don’t want to.
4. Traveling a bunch takes a major toll on your vocal chords, which in turn affects your voice. So I started to bring a vocal steamer with me on the road. It’s a game changer. It’s basically like a mini humidifier that you put your nose and mouth over, and it makes a bunch of steam. Any time I get in from a flight or a long car ride, I steam for like 15 minutes. It seriously makes such a big difference.
5. If you use hairspray, put that shit in a separate ziplock bag! The amount of clothes that have been ruined by hairspray while sitting in my suitcase is ridiculous.