In this Tour Tips segment, the rock band, White Dominos, give you their tips for being on tour. You can check out the feature, after the break.
Okay, before sharing our wisdom it’s important to us that the reader understands that each band and band member is unique – and therefore different rules and tips apply to different bands. The only way to really find out what works is by going on tour and then you figure out how things work – that’s how we learned it.
1. ALWAYS take a shower before hitting the road after a show and bring enough boxers and socks. There’s nothing worse than being tired with a whole night of driving ahead and having to smell your fellow band mate’s sweaty socks.
2. Be honest! You’re going to spend a lot of time together with your band mates and the amount of alone-time is nearly non-existing. So if you get annoyed, tired, sad or whatever, then say it out loud. Nothing’s more stressful and tiring than having to cope with too many emotions inside of you. You learn to respect each other boundaries and they should never be crossed when you’ve been on the road for weeks and haven’t slept enough. That’s how wars start!
3. Eat healthy! It’s really easy to eat junk food when you’re on the road and if you’re hungover from last night’s badass party you should definitely have a big fat cheeseburger. But in general, you should eat healthy to maintain as much energy as possible… and you don’t want to get scurvy!
4. Don’t ever live up your own butt. This is kind of in continuation of step 2. But we can’t stress it enough! Pay attention to each other and how everyone’s feeling. As a band, you work as a unit. Sometimes there’s need of talking to each other but other times it may be someone in the band needs a little space for him or herself. This is so important to be aware of.
5. Have fun! It’s crucial to have fun when playing music and when you’re together with your bandmates. If you’re not having fun, then what’s the point?